Lately, I’ve been thinking of writing ebooks and publishing them on Amazon Kindle as they allow anyone to be a publisher, even those who aren’t that good in writing.
You get to keep around 70% of the royalty rate if the buyers are from certain countries, and a lower percentage for different countries. It’s all stated in their website so I won’t mention it here.
I’ve been telling my readers that writing ebooks is one of the good ways in making money from your blog. Your blog can be a medium to advertise those ebooks. No matter how good your content is, you need to market it to make sales.
Hence, I should follow my own teachings. I plan to write ebooks anytime soon, probably not very lengthy ones, but on-the-point ebooks that would help new bloggers.
What’s the benefit of publishing ebooks?
- Nowadays, almost anyone can be a self-publisher. You don’t need to be an exceptional writer, although being one would definitely mean a greater chance of success. Being a blogger is great, but being a publisher as well would be pretty awesome.
- You set your own prices. If you’re an affiliate for someone else or another company, the prices are set by them. If the prices are too expensive, you can’t change them. It’s not easy to market products that are expensive, especially courses that are worth hundreds of dollars.
- You earn the bulk of what you sell. As an affiliate, you usually get a small portion of the sale, maybe 10% at best. You would still make a killing if you have great traffic and loyal readers. What about the small blogs, i.e. low-traffic blogs? You probably make a few sales at most, and at 10% commission, you won’t earn enough to make blogging a full-time career. If you sell your own product, you will make the bulk of the sale, even if you don’t sell much in a month.
- You get greater exposure. Publishing ebooks on Kindle may promote my blog as well. I doubt anyone on Kindle would know of my blog if I published an ebook today. Hence, it’s another form of marketing as well.
- You get to use affiliate links in your ebook. I think some companies would allow such links, but Amazon Associates definitely will ban you for it. Do your own research to find out if any company accepts such affiliate link placements.
Will my ebooks differ from my already published posts?
If I’m blogging three times a week and publishing “how to’s” and “tutorials” on blogging, making money online and so on, why should you buy my ebook? Will there be different information?
To be honest, ebooks are more suitable if you’re new, pretty clueless or you hate doing your own research. Most of the information are already on the net, and you can find them if you’re diligent enough and have the time for it.
If you work full-time and you don’t have the time for such research, perhaps purchasing an ebook is better. That’s because an ebook should contain everything you should know in a particular topic. It’s supposed to be well-organized and easily understandable, so that you only need to do minimum research on the web.
One thing’s for sure though, ebooks are more comprehensive and would contain more examples or points than regular posts on my blog. They will be easier to understand as well.
My potential goals from writing ebooks
I’m not going to lie. I’m not in a great financial position and I do need all the help I can get. I started this full-time blogging journey at least six months ago and I’m not earning enough for my own expenses. No doubt, my blog traffic is steadily increasing, my domain authority is going up, my subscribers are increasing, yet my sales are decreasing.
I’m not sure why that’s the case, but I hope it will turn for the better soon.
With over a million ebooks on the market, it’s going to be really difficult to sell ebooks. I can foresee that. I’m not a foolish optimistic person as I’ve been active on the internet for many years. Nevertheless, you can’t succeed if you don’t even try.
I hope to gain support from all of my readers and hopefully my ebooks and affiliate sales will help me to achieve this full-time blogging goal.
Thanks everyone for reading! Do subscribe to my blog if you feel like the content posted here will help you in your own blogging journey.
If you’re interested in starting a blog like mine, I have a guide here.